Committee Boat....Lake Murray

Many is the morning I've gazed into my mirror and recited "Glory be to God for dappled things". Perhaps if you are not old enough to be plagued by age spots then you are young enough to have acne, and thus know what I mean. There is another part of that Gerard Manley Hopkins poem I recall while perusing these photos--his salute to the beauty of "all trades, their gear and tackle and trim". I find great beauty in clothes worn for how they work, worn by people at work. Of course, you might not feel that boating is work exactly (to which I say, sail with me and you may rethink your stance). I find boating to be a bit like your Halloween: an excellent excuse to rig out in rather outlandish garb. Take Thurston Howell III. But there is method in the madness. Here, a fellow race committee volunteer sports a life jacket. The man will not boat without one: he is no nervous Nelly but a former Navy Seal. One never knows when one might be bumped overboard, he reminds me. Such is the nature of accident. In light of that, I find myself agreeing that life-saving attire--even the puffy padded sort--looks rather smart indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts