Style in Motion....Governor's Cup

I was having early morning coffee and apple pastries at my friend Millicent's when we noticed a bit of a parade outside. "Oh it's race day!" Milli said. "Do you suppose the half-marathoners are taking a shortcut?"

Delicious! A scandal, I hoped. But no...it turns out that we were on the sidelines of the official course for the 4K walk...and what a charming group these walkers turned out to be...unhurried and with enough breath to chat. (Some competitors and I speculated: might they be serving Mimosas at the refreshment table just up the street? I ambled over to check: alas, no.)
Quite a few managed to look fashionably put together in the heat (or should I say chill) of battle. I quite liked this lady's red hat and jacket. A huzzah for them all! Nothing is so becoming as cheeks flushed by a bit of healthy exercise.
Next, coffee in hand, we strolled over to Devine Street, where the half-marathoners were streaming past. I was amused by this two-woman pep squad, volunteers both, who promised the poor runners that it was all downhill from here. Indeed.
Still, their bouyant attitudes were inspiring; these sunny smiles can make even boxy orange safety vests look appealing. Perhaps the biggest drama of the race unfolded here....
....when this sophisticated-looking woman scurried across to open one of the Devine Street boutiques....
....barely evading the next wave of sweaty runners. As the cheerleaders in orange next to me might have yelled: "Woohoo. Smellin' great! You go girl."

Comments

Popular Posts