Lawrence....Old Shandon

Lawrence's green box, hard-working braces (note the bit of cardboard on the left, helping to hold them in place), and his cheery wave caught my eye.

When I ventured over to chat with the gentleman, he wanted to show me his phones.
It seems Lawrence has just received a newfangled phone from his employer. He can use it, he tells me, to take a photo of me. Horrors! But despite its fancy features, he's still holding on to the salt-encrusted, sandy item below....and not just for environmental reasons.
When Lawrence was lost at sea earlier this summer, said salty phone saved his life. "They used GPS to track me to this phone," he says. He credits the Coast Guard with a fine rescue and blames his son-in-law for putting him in danger. "I'll never go out on a boat with him again, you can bet on that," Lawrence says. And the phone, which still works? "With me for life."

Comments

Popular Posts